The Things We Do

Last year I went WAY overboard for Caleb's 1st Birthday Party. This year, since we've moved, there really isn't anyone to celebrate with {so sad}, so no way to have a huge party. We are fortunate that Andrew's parents will be driving in for the weekend of C's bday to celebrate with us, and the following weekend we'll have a small family party at my parent's house with just a few friends invited as well. I don't intend to go all out for every birthday, but with the extenuating circumstances this year {the recent move away from all of C's little friends and the fact that money is tight to say the least}, I did want to try to make his birthday as special as possible. So I'm killing myself trying to make and sew an AWESOME birthday shirt for him and later this week when I attempt to make a train cake from scratch using boxed cake mix, regular cake pans, icing, and store bought candies. Thank GOD I'm married to an amazing man who has made more architectural models {albeit out of wood, not cake} than I can to think about, and most importantly who has volunteered to help out with the cake. He's even started making sketches of the thing! I bet you can't wait to see how that turns out ;)

Anyway, back to the shirt. In case you're interested, here's the train that I'm trying to copy {minus the dog and birds}. Caleb enjoys reading this book at GranB and Pop Pop's house.


Last night I spent 2.5 hours after Caleb went to bed and then during today's nap I spent another 2ish hours cutting out the fabrics and attaching them to the shirt with a heat and bond type of product. That part is finally done though not without injury:

Yes, I ironed my leg just as I was attaching the last piece of fabric to the shirt. That's gonna leave a mark!

Now I just have to try to survive all the sewing that is going to be involved in finishing this thing up. Just chalking it up to parenthood and one of the many crazy things we do to make our kids happy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, you are super woman! They should create a doctorate for sewing things...you'd earn one for that shirt.