Birthday Pictures

I'd like to say that baseball has become a huge part of our life over the past few years since we've had season tickets to our local college team, but the truth is that Andrew and I have always enjoyed baseball together. Back in our dating days, when I would fly across country to visit Andrew, we would always be sure to make it to a MLB or Spring Training game when they were in season. I distinctly remember watching the World Series from my dorm room while talking on the phone with Andrew as our team took home the championship. Heck, even the tables at our wedding reception were named after stadiums we had visited together.


So of course we had a baseball theme for Caleb's first birthday party. I got all kinds of decorations from a local party store, and bought tablecloths in colors corresponding to our favorite team. We asked our guests to wear gear to support their favorite team, and of course, Andrew and I were supporting C's team the "Rookies."

Here are some of C's friends sporting their party hats.


Caleb sporting his "jersey"



The area we had set up with toys for all the little ones. Check out C's backward facing hat just like daddy!


I thought and thought about what to do for centerpieces. I didn't want to spend too much money, but I did want to stay with our theme. My first idea was a huge flop, then I decided I couldn't justify spending money to buy colored M&Ms, and so I again thought back to baseball...sunflower seeds. So I filled small vases that I purchased for $1 each with sunflower seeds and then stuck in some silk sunflowers in our team's colors. I was able to get the sunflowers on sale, so this was an overall very cheap and cute centerpiece. I don't have any images from the party itself, but here is the mock up.



Now, I have to say that I went a bit overboard for the cake, and honestly, I think it was a bit much for the cake decorator to handle. I asked for a baseball field with scoreboard and pennants. The cake lady suggested having a figure of C sitting on the mound. I agreed, but sort of wish that we had left that part off.


See what I mean?


The scoreboard was mostly what I envisioned.


The good news is that the cake tasted fantastic. Caleb loved his smash cake, well, mostly the icing.




He did not love being cleaned up.


After cake it was time for swimming. A lot of our guests enjoyed hanging out in or around the pool. Caleb got to hang out in the pool with my mom which was great bonding time for the two of them.



Drying off with Daddy.


It was the perfect day. Caleb arrived after his morning nap just as the party was starting, and left to head home for another nap as the party ended giving mommy and the grandparents just enough time to set up and clean up. I can't thank my mom and in-laws enough for everything that they provided to help us out. We couldn't have done it without them! This amazing day was well worth the effort. After all, he'll only turn 1 once!

No comments: