The Night Before

As Andrew was leaving for work on the morning of Tuesday, September 16th exactly 1 week before my due date, he said, "Don't call me today unless you're in labor."

Later that day I started feeling a little bit of pain while walking around after having lunch. Of course, I called my mom for advice, and she insisted that I call the doctor. They sent me to the hospital just to be safe. So I called Andrew and the first words out of my mouth were, "I'm not in labor." I told him to take his time, but that I needed to go to the hospital. About an hour later after he arrived home we headed to the hospital and ended up spending 3 hours there as they monitored my blood pressure, baby's heartrate, and my contractions. I was shocked to find that I had developed high blood pressure. As they monitored me, the readings were all over the place. After a round of bloodwork, the doctor on call thought that it showed some signs of pre-eclamsia. They also determined that I was 1cm dialated. Since I had no other signs of PE, they sent me home and told me to come back the next morning for further monitoring and testing.

That night, we went home thinking that it would still be at least a week before we'd be meeting our baby...

No comments: