Home

Before we moved I was worried about leaving the only home that Andrew and I had lived in together. It was the house where I would come to visit all those years we dated long distance, where we had made so many of our memories from the years BC (Before Caleb), where we had spent our engagement period and the early part of our marriage living with our roommate and good friend Jacob, where we celebrated our first anniversary, where we had first found out we were pregnant, where we had brought Caleb to when we left the hospital after his birth, where we had become a family. I thought that once we moved I would constantly think about that place. I thought that it would really bother me to be living in an apartment instead of a house that we owned. I understood that it was the right thing to do until we settled into our new location and sold our townhouse in AZ, but I also just felt like it would bother me that we couldn't afford to buy a house.

Last night as I laid in bed thinking about how much I like our apartment, I realized that there hasn't been a single moment that I have missed the place that I called home for seven years. But there have been many occasions that I have thought about how much I like our new home - even if it is an apartment, and even if it is temporary. And while I very much look forward to being able to purchase a home that is our own, I am content in this place.

This whole thing got me thinking about what home really is to me. I know it is cliche, and I guess deep down I knew long ago that home isn't really a what but a "who." But it wasn't until that moment that I felt the weight of the saying, “A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built with love and dreams." It feels like times are tough for us right now, but the reality is that we really haven't given up too many luxuries. And we have a long way to go before we'd be without a roof over our heads. Things are looking good for us in the financial near future. But whatever the future may hold for us, I've learned that wherever we live, home will always be a comfortable place as long as we are together.

2 comments:

Erin said...

awww... very heartfelt!

Lesli said...

Very well said, Becki. Love it!