September 1996
We met at the beginning of our sophomore year in high school in Mr. Labecki's honor's english class. Andrew sat behind me, and let's just say that I developed a little crush right then and there. Throughout high school we were friends, but never spent time together outside of school.
Fast forward to senior year of HS
I have a vivid memory of driving along in my old car (1986 Toyota Camry) with a group of my girlfriends. For some reason, the only person I clearly remember having the car is Katia who was in the back seat. Anyway, we were discussing whether or not we thought we had already met the person that we would marry. Not wanting to be a huge nerd, I said no. But in my mind (and in my heart) I thought it might be Andrew.
Fast forward to Freshman year of college
Andrew had gone away to school at ASU all the way across the country. One day in the fall, I was walking across campus at Susquehanna and saw a kid outside who was wearing his hat backwards (classic Andrew). Immediately, I thought of him and lamented that I'd probably not see him unless at a reunion. Through an interesting twist, my now ex-boyfriend who also went to HS with us ended up helping me to get in contact with Andrew. Hours and hours of phone calls, instant messages, and emails later we decided to go out on a date when our spring break vacations overlapped for a short weekend.
March 11, 2000
I left my sister's volleyball tournament early to drive from York to Harrisburg to meet up with Andrew, his best friend Chris and Leah (Chris's girlfriend at the time). After dinner and a movie and hours of talking we said good night. We survived three and a half years of super long distance followed by another year of relatively short long distance dating. And the rest is history.
I can't believe how quickly 10 years have passed. In some ways it seems like it has happened in the blink of an eye. Then I think about everything we've been through over these past 10 years, and I am so happy and so proud of how far we've come and everything that we've accomplished both as individuals and as a couple. Right now the future is very unclear, and we are in the midst one of the more difficult times in our relationship since Andrew is unemployed. But I can honestly say that I have never been happier with our life. I feel like in a lot of ways it has brought us closer together as we team up to navigate life's obstacles together. I am confident and have faith that things will turn around soon, and that we'll be able to get back on track with the plans we have for our future. I can't wait to find out what the next 10 years will bring our way! Happy Anniversary, Andrew!
1 comment:
Happy Anniversary!! It's so funny how our stories are so similar!!!! Erik and I will be together 10 years this June. : )
Post a Comment