Swimming!

After talking about staring Caleb in swim lessons since he was 6 months old, I finally got him enrolled in September just after his 1st birthday. We've been going to the Hubbard Family Swim School and LOVE IT along with our instructor Marc {who we sadly just found out will be leaving in January}. I had been wanting to take some pictures/video to share with everyone, but we kept forgetting the camera. Well, we finally took the video camera to the pool with us this past Wednesday. I've tried over and over to post the ridiculously long (25 minute) video that Andrew took non-stop during the lesson, but it just wasn't successful. So family, you will just have to wait until we see you in the upcoming weeks to check that one out. In the mean time, these pictures will have to hold you over.

At the very beginning of class we sing "The Kids in the Pool" (Ewwww...I know what you're thinking) to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus" and during this song the kids splash and kick. Here we are kicking our feet.


Then there is always a "focus of the week." Here we all are standing in a circle listening to Marc tell us about this week's focus. I also think we just got done doing an "elevator" where Caleb was dunked straight down under water!


Here we are working on getting the kids to go hand-over-hand along the edge of the pool. When they come to one of these foam turtles they knock them over. There's Marc in the background (pretty cute, huh?).


And finally, we spend some time during each class working on self-submersion. This first picture I'm trying to get Caleb to lean forward into the pool to come to me. Ignore my goofy face.
And the final picture (and the topic of today's Y3W post) is from another self-submersion portion of the class. Each week the kids have some free time where they stand on a ledge so that they are in water up to their waist. Then they learn to "dive" down under water (self-submerging their face over the mouth and nose) to grab these rings. Here is Caleb after a particularly successful dive!

No comments: