Only 9 Days

Here we are only 9 days in to my NaBloPoMo challenge, and already I'm having to blog about what I ate for lunch. The So today my lunch consisted of leftovers. I know what you're thinking, "Oh my gosh, not only is she going to talk about her lunch, but that lunch was leftovers?!" Have no fear. I promise it will be worth your while! So my leftovers lunch was wonderful. More on that later.

A few days ago I noticed that Eye Roasts were on sale at the grocery store. Since I know how great these are for making my all time favorite crock pot meal, I picked one up. Crock pot meals are the working mom's best friend. You can throw a few things in the pot before heading to work, and when you come home it's like you have your own personal chef who cooked for you all day. The house smells wonderful and you have a fully cooked meal ready to be put on the table! Could there be anything better?

So exactly what is my favorite crock pot meal, you ask? Roast beef with potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and onions. Why do I love it so much? Let me count the reasons:

1. It is sooooo yummy and makes my house smell awesome!

2. It is possibly one of the easiest recipes ever! Simply brown up the roast on all sides in a skillet with a little oil (you can skip this step but it won't be as tasty!). Peel the carrots and potatoes (lots of them...as much as your crock pot can hold in addition to the roast and other ingredients) and cut them into pieces about 1" square(ish). Throw these into a single layer on the bottom of the crock pot. Put roast on top of that and fill in the area around the roast with remaining carrots. Sprinkle the top of the roast with grill seasoning (a la Rachel Ray). Then chop up one onion in large chunks and sprinkle over the top. Finally dump one 28oz can of diced tomatoes over the whole thing. Cook on high all day (6 hours). When I come home I usually turn it off and then it cools a bit before we eat it. Easy Peasy...anyone can do it!

3. The leftovers are just as yummy as the meal itself! Which brings me back to my lunch today...

One of my favorite sandwiches was a kid was always my mom's homemade roast beef sandwiches which consisted of leftoever roast beef on bread with a touch of mayo (Hellmanns or Best Foods only!...same mayo, different name...there's a story for another time). So today's lunch was just that, a leftover roast beef sandwich with a bit of those leftover yummy carrots and potatoes I was telling you about! Mmmmmmm...delicious!

See...that wasn't too bad, now was it? Let's hope that some more interesting blog ideas come to me for the remaining days this week!

No comments: