What's Up Doc?

Caleb had a great well visit with Dr. Curran this morning. It was our first time meeting with the new doctor, and I have to say that I'm quite pleased. He really took an interest in Caleb, championed the fact that I'm still breastfeeding, answered all of my questions thoroughly, and didn't act like I was wasting his time...a welcome change from our prior experiences. When we first arrived in the waiting room, two sisters who were in the waiting room couldn't get enough of Caleb. They were about 10 and 8 years old, and I'd say that they're going to go home and ask their mom and dad if they can have a baby brother!

When we got back to the exam room we found out that Caleb has been doing a lot of growing since his last appointment.
Height: 29.5 inches (90th percentile)
Weight: 19lbs, 10oz (50th percentile)
Head Circumference: 17.25 inches (10th percentile)

When Dr. Curran walked into the room, he was singing "Happy Almost Birthday To You." I was NOT ready for that! Knock on wood, the next time we go to the doctor Caleb will be 1 year old. He can feel free to sing Happy Birthday then, but not a moment sooner. After that he held a little conversation with Caleb. He just kept going and going and Caleb just stared at him. Finally, Dr. Curran said, "Most 9 month olds are screaming at me by now." Apparently Caleb is pretty open when it comes to meeting new people. He definitely does not get freaked out by strangers. Shy, yes. Scared, no.

The doctor noted that Caleb is hitting all of his milestones and in some cases is ahead of the curve including crawling, standing, cruising, and pointing (just noticed this at the office today). Apparently pointing is a big one because babies who are autistic don't point. It is a sign that they are engaging with other people. So, (as we all already knew) Caleb is doing great and growing right on track. He's an incredibly happy and adorable baby. And lest you think that I'm just bragging because he's MY adorable son, there wasn't a single nurse, office assistant, or person in the waiting room who didn't say so too!

No comments: